Seems like a lot of people had a pretty crappy 2012. I'm sorry. That's awful. I've had bad years (2009- the most recent) that blew, so I know how it feels...like molasses really. Those crappy years seem dreadfully long and like the misery will never end.
Yet, for me, 2012 was the bomb-diggity. Had a great one folks. The Good Lord shined His bright smiling face down upon me and it was lovely. Thank heavens! Here are my top six things that made 2012 so spectacular.
1. Running that crazy marathon in June. Looking back, that thing was nuts. Why did I sign up for such torture? I don't know why, but I do know that it was a sweet package of greatness all wrapped up in blisters, early alarm clocks, chaffing and lotsa hard work. Running a marathon is no small thing. And, because it's no small thing, that's what makes it such an awesome thing. It was mind-bogglingly difficult, but so rewarding. So, so rewarding. Am I doing one this year? No. Heck no.
2. I got a new calling! It's pretty much one of the best callings in the church (next to librarian, but I know I'm never going to get that gig, so I've gotta be realistic here). I'm the secretary for the Young Womens program in our ward. It is perfect for me because...a. starting next month all of my girls will be in there, b. I contribute and participate fully in all the parts of YWs, but I'm not the big wig and don't have to go to extra meetings, c. YW is where it's happening. We're all totes adorbs and such, d. I was getting kinda bored in Relief Society. Plus our presidency is made up of all of my super awesome friends already so...bump, set, spike.
3. We got a new fancy gigantic flat screen t.v. for Christmas (Wes and I's gift to each other). And, I love it. And, I love that I can push one button on the remote and youtube comes up and I can watch a bazillion episodes of House Hunters International whenever the heck I want. And, I love that it's not all ghetto and sad like our old t.v. which I was sort of embarrassed of (honest). I realize we are probably the last people I know to get a flat screen like this, but ya know, I am still super stoked.
4. ALL of my kids are having the best year in school. It's like the stars finally aligned just right and we are enjoying a year of smooth sailing. Normally, I have at least one kid who's having a heck of a time at school. Sometimes it's academic, sometimes it's social, sometimes it is physical, but always it is something. But, this year (knock on wood) it has all been super awesome. Spencer has the best fourth grade teacher- hands down. Alice loves middle school and has made a bunch of new super-great friends. Emma has easily transitioned into high school and loved doing XC. And my Cate is finally having the best year of high school ever. She is absolutely loving every thing about it. It's like a crazy miracle!
5. I really learned how to use my camera this year. My photography skill are very much still in the beginner stages, but I'm starting to see some real progress. It's exciting to learn a new skill and to see your abilities blossom. I've had my camera for years and I'm sorta sad it took me this long to really learn everything about it, but I am so glad I finally took those hands on lessons from a professional to launch me to the next level. I love learning.
6. I found Aquage. What? You haven't heard of Aquage uplifting foam? Well honey, are you in for a treat! It is the best volumizing product I have ever laid my hands upon. Buy it. Use it. Love it.