Thursday, January 30, 2014

Mitt



A couple of nights ago I watched the Netflix Documentary Mitt.  It was good.  Not good in the political way necessarily, but good in the personal/familial way.

I've been pointedly avoiding politics since last years election.  My mental health cannot take it right now.  It depresses me in a myriad of ways.  So, I considered not watching this film because I didn't want to revisit an old wound, so to speak.

But, this show was as much about the Romney family- who they are and how they function, as it was about political life.  In this film you really get a true picture of who Mitt Romney is as a person.  And honestly, I really liked him.  He's genuine.  He unabashedly adores his wife.  His relationships with his adult children are very loving.  His kids respect him, and he respects them.  Say what you want to say, but to if you ask me I'm convinced  that the Romney family is a tight-knit group that love and support one another.  Winning or losing political races didn't change that fact one bit.

Mitt is a fastidious man.  He likes things tidy.  I liked that about him.  He wasn't above cleaning up.  It seemed that everywhere they were on the campaign trail the cameras often caught him taking out garbages, wiping off tables and picking up bits of paper off the hotel room floor.  Oftentimes it was him doing the picking up while everyone else was otherwise occupied.

He also developed sweet relationships with everyone around him.  I love, at the end, when he's saying goodbye to his secret service detail.  Lots of love and adoration in that scene.

The most telling part of the show to me was when one of his sons (can't remember which one) was being interviewed and he confessed the toughest part about running for President for Mitt was how much he hated disappointing people (i.e. losing an election).  He explained that his Dad's biggest worry in life was simply letting others down.  I thought that was fascinating.  Mitt wasn't so upset when he lost for himself, instead, he was pained because he let others, who were counting on him, down.

By the end of the film I was sad.  It was the deflating feeling of "what could have been", I guess.  But likewise, I also felt grateful.  Grateful that a family like the Romney's would put themselves through the political wringer because of a genuine desire to serve.  It is not an easy thing to do.

If you have Netflix I'd recommend it.  If you don't agree with Romney politically, it doesn't really matter.  The show is about much more than that.  It's about a family.  It's about love.


2 comments:

  1. I have not wanted to watch it because it am sure it would make me so sad. I enjoyed reading your description of the movie. Maybe I'll talk myself into watching it one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, my mom feels the same way as you. Too painful still.

      Delete